Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vintage

Phuong and I have a liking for vintage things. Phuong came across a beautiful clock in Chicago, similar to the nautical desk clocks circa 1920's. Eerily a coincidence, I recently got a 1920's style phone. I only discovered this coincidence now. What are the odds of that happening? 

























As of recent, I've been fascinated with typewriters. I did my research, and learned about several brands.
Underwood, remington, royal, corona to name a few. I discovered I liked the royal models of the 1930's the best for its granite finish look. I also learned that it was favored by Hemingway.

I absolutely love it! I hear some screen writers still use typewriters these days. But can you imagine how many love letters, great stories, screen plays, movie scripts that were written on these things? I'm thinking more specifically about letters. I'm sure it would take weeks, if not months for the other person to receive it. Its nice to imagine how it was like back then, how patient one was with most things that were done manually - that takes a lot of patience. Perhaps it ties into the fact that Phuong and I are long distance... interesting parallel....

Considering this day and age, with a touch of an 'enter' button, an email is sent in quick cyber speed. Sometimes I feel like I'm a reincarnated old soul of the early 1900's :p

Now that Phuong and I will be in the midwest, I hear that there are vintage shops aplenty that sell items at decent prices, as apposed to here in the west - where one would have to spend a pretty penny for such things.

Although I"m still terrified of the thought of leaving my childhood town Vancouver, family and friends; I'm trying to focus on the positive outlook for the future. It will be fun decorating our place. A nice eclectic mix of vintage, asian, and modernism :)

No comments:

Post a Comment