Friday, July 9, 2010

Now that the groom is in Vancouver...

I've seen much accomplished in less than one week's time. We found suits and dress shirts for the father-in-law and brother-in-law, we bought more wedding decorations, delegated tasks for wedding day, took the bride to her dress fitting, purchased a birdcage for holding envelopes, and the bride purchased her veil.

In addition, we have a semi-heatwave going on here (in addition to much of North America as well). Everyone on the bride's side has managed to get enough sun to register a "fairly dark" on the tan scale. It reminds me how dark I used to be when living in California and how dark I could be today if academic work didn't keep me cooped up for so many hours throughout the school year.

Today a groomsman asked me if Vancouver had a must-try food he should sample when he arrives. I drew a blank. In all my dozen or so visits to Vancouver, I've had mostly Asian food when I've eaten out. Some Greek. I did enjoy the intimate cheesecake place Betty took me to back on January 6, 2005, the day we first met. I'm too scared to try the Mexican food here and I'm not in much of a hurry to wait in long lines for the Japanese hot dog vendor (I doubt he's related to hot dog eater Kobayashi) on Burrard Street, and I've never eaten a burger in Vancouver for some reason (maybe because it aint' In-n-Out or Island's). I should've warned him not to eat at Boston Pizza (worse than frozen pizza), but why can't I think of any must-try foods? A friend in Chicago suggested beaver tails, which is essentially a Canadian version of the Mexican churro (fried dough covered in sugar), but pressed in the shape of a beaver tail; Maybe I should try it first before I recommend. But Vancouver is well known in underground circles for things I can't recommend (drinking age of 19 and marijuana). And anyone who watched the Olympics knows Vancouver has no shortage of breathless vistas and clean air. The food here is tasty and fresh, but what to eat that's out of this world and a must-try (and reasonably-priced) if one visits? Hmmm. Suggestions anyone?

2 comments:

  1. The bride: Hello dear, a suggestion for your friends and I may be a bit biased - but, I love sushi here. Especially being on the pacific asian coast mixed with a strong influence of talented asian chefs; makes for very affordable to fancy sushi: From the novice palettes of chicken terriaki rolls, boston rolls, to advanced sashimi, very creative rolls such as dragon rolls, bc rolls etc... - no doubt sushi here is very very yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrmz.... I suppose the point is what food is very "vancover" and I can't get it anywhere else? Like Tucson, AZ has the Sonora dog, Texas, Kansas city and the carolinas has their own style of BBQ, California has In and out, the East coast has White Castle, what does Vancover have that I can only get in Vancover? This is one of those time when Man Vs. Food should come to Vancover and eat something there.

    ReplyDelete